Create your FREE profile now!
Join the discussion with physicians and researchers around the globe - sign up for your free Cureus account today.
EDUCATION AND WORK HISTORY:
• Undergraduate – BA, Chemistry – NYU – New York, NY - 1989
• Medical School – NYU - 1993
• Internal Medicine Internship – Emory University – Atlanta, GA - 1994
• Neurology Residency – Emory ('94-'95) & Jackson Memorial/University of Miami – Miami, FL - 1997
• Cerebrovascular Fellowship – University of Southern California (USC) – Los Angeles, CA - 1999
• Neurocritical Care Fellowship – Thomas Jefferson University – Philadelphia, PA - 2012
• USC (1999-2005) - Clinical instructor 1.5 years, assistant professor of Neurology 6 years, interim director of stroke program 3 years, co-director of stroke and neurocritical care 3 years
• Nevada Neurosciences Institute at Sunrise Hospital – Las Vegas, NV (2005-2010) – director of neurocritical care
• Desert Regional Medical Center (current) – neurointensivist/neurohospitalist, medical director of neurocritical care, former medical director of stroke program (3 years), ACGME neurology residency program director, chief of neurology
Pitman-Moore (Veterinary Division of Johnson and Johnson) - New Hope, NJ
• Evaluation of bovine antiparasitic agents – 1985. Preceptor: Carol Slusser, D.V.M.
New York University – Department of Chemistry – New York, NY
• Synthesis of novel carcinogenic chlorinated benzamide compounds for use in investigation of hydrolytic metabolites – 1988. Principal investigator: Graham Underwood, PhD.
University of Southern California – Department of Neurology – Los Angeles, CA
• Mechanisms of Stroke. Evaluation of the effects of acute and chronic infections on the precipitation of stroke. Program project grant. Principal investigator: Mark Fisher, M.D. (1997-1999)
• CNS Response to endotoxin. Response of hemostatic markers and cerebral vasomotor reactivity to experimental endotoxemia in healthy subjects and those with diabetes, hypertension or current smoking. Institutional investigation. Principal investigator: Mark Fisher, M.D. (1998)
• HALT (Hu23F2G Anti-adhesion to Limit Cytotoxic Injury in Acute Stroke Trial). Phase II, multi-center, NIH-funded trial of anti-CD11/CD18 antibodies in acute stroke. Sub-investigator. (1998)
• WARSS (Warfarin and Aspirin in Recurrent Stroke Study). Multi-center, NIH-funded trial. Local Coordinator, University of Southern California. (1997-1999)
• Stroke risk and tamoxifen therapy for breast cancer. NIH-funded institutional investigation, in coordination with regional Kaiser Permanente medical centers. Co-investigator. Principal investigator: Leslie Bernstein, PhD. (1999-2004)
• VISP (Vitamins in Stroke Prevention) Multi-center trial of folate supplementation for homocysteine control in secondary stroke prevention. Local principal investigator, University of Southern California. (1997-1999)
• WASID (Warfarin-Aspirin Symptomatic Intracranial Disease Study for Stroke). NIH-funded, multi-center trial. Local co-investigator. (2002-2003)
• SONIA. (Stroke Outcomes and Neuroimaging of Intracranial Atherosclerosis). NIH-funded, multi-center trial. Local co-investigator. (2002-2003)
• CREST. (Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy vs. Stent Trial). NIH-funded, multi-center trial. Local co-investigator. (2003-2005)
• Effects of Aggrenox on cerebral vasomotor activity. Institutional investigation. Co-investigator. (2003-2005)
• PRoFESS. (Prevention Regimen for Effectively avoiding Secondary Stroke). Multi-center clinical trial of Aggrenox versus Plavix and Aspirin, and Micardis versus placebo, for secondary stroke prevention. Sponsored by Boehringer Ingelheim. Local co-investigator. (2004 – Aug. 2005)
Nevada Neurosciences Institute at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center – Las Vegas, NV
• DIAS-2 (Desmoteplase in Acute Stroke – 2). Local co-investigator. (2005-2007)
• FAST (Factor VIIa in Acute Intracerebral Hemorrhage) Local co-investigator. (2006-2007)
• Ancrod (Viprinex™) for the Treatment of Acute, Ischemic Stroke – phase III. Local co-investigator. (2006-2007)
• Vernalis phase II trial of investigational drug V10153 in acute ischemic stroke. Local co-investigator. (2006 - 2008)
• IMS-III (Interventional Management of Stroke III Trial). Local co-investigator. (2006 - 2009)
• SENTIS (Safety and Efficacy of NeuroFlo Technology in Ischemic Stroke). Local co-investigator, 2009.
• Prediction Sciences Plasma Biomarkers of Stroke. Local co-investigator (2008 - )
Thomas Jefferson University – Department of Neurology – Philadelphia, PA
• MACSI (Membrane-Activated Chelator Stroke Intervention). Phase III multinational randomized controlled trial of DP-b99 in acute ischemic stroke. Local co-investigator. (2010 - 2012).
• CLEAR III – (Clot Lysis: Evaluating Accelerated Resolution of Intraventricular Hemorrhage) – Phase III, multicenter, randomized controlled trial of rtPA for intraventricular hemorrhage. Local co-investigator. (2011 - 2012).
• Cele-Gene – Intravenous infusion of human placenta-drived cells (PDA001) for the treatment of adults following ischemic stroke. Local co-investigator. (2011 - 2012).
• ICES – Intraoperative stereotactic CT-guided Endoscopic Surgery (for intracerebral hemorrhage). Local co-investigator. (2011 - 2012).
Desert Regional Medical Center – Palm Springs, CA
• POINT – Platelet-oriented Inhibition in New TIA and minor ischemic stroke Trial. Local co-investigator. (2014 – current)
Fischberg GM, Hsu G, Patnaik M, Heseltine P, Aziz D, Lozano E, Perez Barreto M, Paganini-Hill A, Fisher M. Chlamydia pneumoniae and ischemic stroke risk. 52nd American Academy of Neurology 52nd Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA; May 2, 2000.
Barreto MP, Fischberg GM, Paganini-Hill, A, Lapakulchai Y, Ameriso SF, Fisher MJ. Low-dose endotoxin reduces human cerebrovascular reactivity and produces a procoagulant state. American Heart Association 26th International Stroke Conference. Fort Lauderdale, FL; February 14-16, 2001.
Cohen SN, Malone K, Fischberg GM, Gregory G, Selco SL. Improved usage of rt-PA for acute stroke in a community hospital utilizing neurohospitalists. American Stroke Association 33rd International Stroke Conference. New Orleans, LA; February 20-22, 2008.
Fischberg GM, Maltenfort MG, Vibbert MD, Bell RD, Moussouttas M, McBride WC, Pineda C, Tzeng D, Jallo J, Ratliff RK, Rincon F. Association between sepsis and symptomatic vasospasm in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. 9th Annual Neurocritical Care Society Meeting. Montreal, QC, Canada; September 21-24, 2011.
Majic T, Anson J, Fischberg G, Kostanian V. Middle cerebral artery infarction secondary to pelvic phlebolith embolization in a gravid woman. Case report and review of literature. 13th Annual Neurocritical Care Society Meeting. Scottsdale, AZ; October 7-10, 2015.
Fischberg GM, Suzuki S, Mohammadi A, Fisher M. Moyamoya Disease – Chapter 17, Management of Ischemic Stroke, editor Stanley N. Cohen, M.D. McGraw-Hill, 2000.
Fischberg GM, Lozano E, Rajamani K, Ameriso S, Fisher MJ. Stroke precipitated by moderate blood pressure reduction. The Journal of Emergency Medicine. Nov. 2000; 19(4):339-46.
Paganini-Hill A, Lozano E, Fischberg G, Perez Barreto M, Rajamani K, Ameriso F, Heseltine P, Fisher M. Infection and risk of ischemic stroke: differences among stroke subtypes. Stroke. Feb. 2003; 34(2):452-7.
Swadron SP, Selco SL, Kim A, Fischberg G, Sung G. The acute cerebrovascular event: surgical and other interventional therapies. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. Nov. 2003.
Geiger A, Fischberg GM, Chen W, Bernstein L. Stroke risk and tamoxifen therapy for breast cancer. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Oct. 20, 2004; 96(20):1528-36.
Blake L, Selco S, Fischberg G, Cohen S. Treatment of severe intraventricular hemorrhage with intraventricular t-PA. Nevada Neurosciences Institute (NNI) Journal. Jan. 2008; 4(1):159-160.
Watkins J, Miulli DE, Berry J, Fischberg G, Siddiqi J. Ventilator Management – Chapter 18, Neurosurgical Intensive Care, editor Javed Siddiqi, M.D. Thieme, 2017.
Ramakrishnan V, Wacker M, Miulli D, Fischberg G. Seizure Disorders – Diagnosis and Management – Chapter 19, Neurosurgical Intensive Care, editor Javed Siddiqi, M.D. Thieme, 2017.
Albano S, Berman B, Fischberg G, Siddiqi J, Liu B, Khan Y, Zafar A, Quadri SA, Farooqui M. Retrospective analysis of ventriculitis in external ventricular drains. Neurology Research International [Internet]. 2018 Sep 2; [9 p.]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6139185/
Recent article categories: Medical Education, Psychiatry, NeurosurgeryShow: