Your Information and How We Use It
In order to become a member of the Cureus community, you must first create an account on our website. When creating an account you are required to create a password and provide the following information: your full name, specialty, current medical institution and its city and country location, and email address.
You may enter additional information in the Profile section once you have registered as a user. Cureus utilizes the registration and profile information along with IP address to verify the identity and affiliations of users who author, review, rate or comment on articles on the Cureus publishing platform.
- Cureus uses technology provided by a third party ad network provider to serve ads.
- In order to enhance the user experience, this technology may customize the advertisements that you see based upon: (i) the information that you knowingly provide; (ii) geographic location which we determine through your IP address; (iii) data we receive from third parties; and (iv) your behavior on Cureus or other sites.
- In the course of serving advertisements to Cureus, such third-party advertising technology may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser.
- You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings in your browser.
- In doing so, the provider collects non-personal data such as your browser type, your operating system, web pages visited, time of visits, content viewed, ads viewed and other clickstream data. Ad networks may connect information about your visit on Cureus with information about your visit on other sites and show you advertising based on this combined information.
- The advertisement may appear when you are visiting a different section of Cureus or any other sites on the Internet if such other sites also have a relationship with our ad network provider.
- Please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ to learn more about the information collection practices of network advertisers and if you wish to "opt-out" of participating in advertising programs conducted by third party ad network providers.
IP Address and Cookies
When you enter Cureus, we collect your browser type and IP address, as well as the URL of the site from which you came. This information is gathered for all Cureus visitors and is used to analyze overall trends, in turn helping us to improve our services. In addition, we store certain information from your browser using "cookies." A cookie is a small data file that resides on your computer and allows Cureus to recognize you as a user when you return to our site with the same computer and web browser. You can remove or block Cureus cookies in your browser settings at any time.
The IP address is obtained by the HTTP headers when the user makes a request using a browser. All other information is provided by the user or submitting author on behalf of the user - name, email address, affiliation, location, specialty, qualifications, etc.
Cureus also uses third party products that set cookies, for example: Google Analytics, which helps us monitor site usage and therefore improve user experience.
The majority of the data that we request from users are publicly accessible with the exception of email and passwords, which are encrypted using bcrypt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bcrypt). IP address and other information is retained until the user deletes his/her account. Users have the right to erase all personal data (by deleting their account.)
Third Party Email Addresses and Contacts
In order to invite your colleagues to connect with you on Cureus, you must enter their names and email addresses. These names and email addresses will be used only to send your invitation – they will not be shared with any 3rd parties for any reason.
As a registered Cureus user, you may submit draft articles, edit articles, publish articles, review articles and rate/discuss articles. In most cases, we retain this information to enhance your experience with Cureus. When you provide updated information, we generally keep a backup copy of the prior version for a reasonable period of time, to enable reversion to the prior version if necessary.
While using the Cureus service and website, you will have opportunities to post scores, opinions or other information. Information collected in conjunction with such uses of the site will not be used to personally identify you outside of the Cureus community. By registering as a Cureus user, you agree not to contribute content that is a) defamatory, libelous, obscene, indecent, abusive, threatening or illegal. You also agree to indemnify Cureus and its officers and employees from and against all liabilities, judgments, damages and costs (including attorney's fees) incurred by them which arise out of, or are related to, content you contribute.
Minors are not meant to use or access Cureus. Minors are not eligible to use our service and we ask that minors do not submit any personal information to Cureus. In the case that a minor inadvertently provides information, Cureus promises to delete all associated personal information.
Cureus may share aggregated de-identified demographic information with Cureus partners. This is not linked to any personal information that can be used to identify individual users.
We do not provide contact information to third party marketers without your permission. We share your information with third parties only in limited circumstances when it is 1) legally required or 2) permitted by you.
Cureus will never sell, rent or otherwise provide your personally identifiable information to any third parties for marketing purposes.
It is possible that we may need to disclose personal information when required by law. We will disclose such information wherein we have a good-faith belief that it is necessary to comply with a court order, ongoing judicial proceeding, or other legal process served on our company or to exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
Notification of Changes
Termination of Service
If at any time you wish to terminate your account with Cureus, you may do so via your Account Settings page. Please note that previously collected data will be removed as well.
Sale of Assets, Merger, Acquisition or Bankruptcy
Information collected from you may be transferred to a third party as a result of a sale or acquisition, merger or bankruptcy involving Cureus.