The Cureus peer review process assists the author in creating the best possible scholarly article. Journal- and author-invited peer reviewers are utilized to provide comprehensive criticism, while making the publishing process both fruitful and efficient.
Reviewers are anonymized through Cureus' automated system. Upon accepting an invitation to review an article, a reviewer is assigned a Greek letter used by the author for identification purposes (e.g. Reviewer Alpha).
Cureus utilizes Crocodoc, an electronic online editing tool, to make commenting and collaborating with authors faster and easier.
- You will receive an email invitation to peer review that includes the article’s title, author, categories and abstract. Click “Accept Invitation” to enter Review Mode and begin the peer-review process or click “Decline Invitation” if you do not wish to take part in the peer-review process.
- Once in Review Mode, you may click "Save and exit" to save your comments and exit to the My Reviews tab of the Dashboard. Important: Clicking “Save and exit” does not submit your comments.
- You may navigate back to Review Mode at any time by clicking “Accept Invitation” in the original email invitation or by selecting “Continue my review” from the dropdown menu in the My Reviews tab.
- When finishing with your review, select “Submit my review” from the dropdown menu in the My Reviews tab. This will submit your comments to the editor and end your review.
- If you deem the article unfit for publication, select “Flag this article” from the dropdown menu in the My Review tab.
- After the author has incorporated your comments, you may receive additional emails requesting that you read and edit subsequent versions of the article. Please refer to the above steps when revising additional manuscript versions.
- Please note that a summary page does not appear after submitting your review. The only way to continue adding comments during a review is to click "Save and exit" as detailed in step 2. If you find that you have accidentally submitted your review, please contact us at email@example.com for assistance.
Please feel free to provide feedback to the editorial staff during the review process. Our goal is to make this process easy for both the author and reviewer, and your feedback allows Cureus to continually evolve and improve. If you have specific questions during the review process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.